Nell Gardner Resume
382 Washington St. Spencerport, NY 14559
1982 – Cornell University, Ithaca, NY – College of Agriculture and Life Science
- BS in Agronomy
- Distinction-3.9 GPA
1978 – Nova Scotia Agricultural College – Truro, Nova Scotia
- High Honors
A.A.S. in Animal Science SUNY Brockport, Brockport, NY
- GPA 4.0
- (MS- 7 credit hours)
- Agronomy, Soil Chemistry & Physics, Soil Conservation
- Horticulture, Entomology, Natural Resources, Ecology
- Communications, Dairy Science, Farm Business Management Relevant Experience
- Flower Fields- Owner, Horticultural Consultant Batavia, NY
2011 – FLW Darwin Martin House Horticulturalist Buffalo, NY
- Manage the Frank Lloyd Wright Darwin Martin House and Graycliff Estates’ landscapes to achieve a top quality experience for visitors. Oversee restoration projects at both sites. Successfully recruit, manage and train volunteers in horticultural methods. Developed a successful internship program with four Colleges and Universities. Develop and present classes, workshops and tours.
1992 – Spencerport / Batavia, NY – Flower Fields – Owner, Horticultural Consultant
- Developed and manage a successful and unique specialty cut flower farm, teaching classes, workshops, leading tours.
- Provide specialty landscaping and environmental conservation services to clients, including Fallingwater and the Richardson Complex. Consult to the Green Visions Program in agricultural methods, management, and training in urban farming and marketing of cut flowers. Consulted to Ritter Farms, AK, in growing and marketing 500,000 sunflowers. I was involved in marketing, soil analysis, pest management and employee training. Former WROC Channel 8 Horticulturalist, producing segments for live TV.
2004-2007 Heritage Christian Services – Springdale Farm – Director of Horiticulture
- Developed and managed extensive gardens for Springdale Farm; a county park and Dayhab Facility for Heritage Christian Services. Planned and supervised installation and maintenance of landscapes for Heritage homes
1987-2004 NGC Consulting Batavia, NY Professional Agricultural Consultant
- Consulted for several large growers accomplishing lower input costs while reducing crop risk. Cooperated with agribusinesses to improve crop scouting methods and crop quality.
- Organized crop and farm records enabling better decision making.
1985-1987 Cornell Cooperative Extension Vegetable Extension Specialist/ Batavia, NY
Master Gardener Coordinator
- Interpreted University research information to optimize crop production methods on farms in a 3 county area. Advanced farming methods through field demonstrations and educational media. Also supervised volunteer Master Gardeners and provided diagnostic services
1983-1985 Cornell University IPM Program Geneva, NY
Integrated Pest Management Specialist
- Involved in the development and implementation of vegetable pest management programs for New York State. Hired seasonal field scouts and advanced IPM programs with practical field techniques.
2007 Volunteer Mediator/Consultant Batavia, NY
- Negotiated and mediated between residents and farms in several disputes involving water quality and land use in agriculture. I was instrumental in helping to secure a large USDA water quality grant for the Towns of Batavia and Stafford to provide public water service to the area I lived where the wells were contaminated and condemned. Worked with multiple agencies and public representatives to coordinate services and improve the flow of information.
Past President Genesee County Farm Bureau Batavia, NY
Past President Genesee County Regional Action Phone Batavia, NY
Awards, Achievements, Certifications
- Lead NY- Cornell University- Agricultural Leadership Program
- Soil and Water conservation Award- Genesee County
- IPM Award- NYS Dept. of Agriculture & Markets
- College Scholarships and Awards
- Intercollegiate Livestock Judging Champion
- DEC Pesticide Certification
- Lewis W. Tandy, PPQ Officer, US Department of Agriculture, APHIS, 29 Liberty Street Suite 1, Batavia, NY 14020 585-343-9167 ext.1033
- Christine Froehlich, Horticulturalist, 7562 8th Street, Sodus Point, NY 14555 315-483-2316(H), 585-473-5130(office)
- Joanne Crossman, Loan Officer, USDA- Farm Service Agency, 29 Liberty Street, Batavia, NY 585-343-9167 ext.#2
Brought up on a self-reliant old-fashioned farm on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
Tell me about your upcoming project.
Horticultural and Agricultural Consulting, Cut Flower Growing, Problem Solving, Historical Story Telling